Re: midish and alsasequencer

From: Alexandre Ratchov <alex_at_caoua.org>
Date: Thu Jul 05 2007 - 12:22:48 CEST
On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 03:18:19PM +0200, Julien Claassen wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>   I tried to integrate midish in alsasequencer, but I failed. I tell you what
> I did, maybe someone could help me.
>   I used the alsa virmidi "virtual midi" card and I have my own delta card,
> with its midiports. Virmidi has device-numbers 16,17,18,19 and my real
> midiport have device-number 20. (this all corresponds to /dev/midiC0D0 to
> /dev/snd/midiC0D3 for virmidi and /dev/snd/midiC1D0 for my read hardware midi.
>   so I connected:
> aconnect 20 16
> aconnect 16 20
> and in my .midishrc I have:
> devattach 0 "/dev/snd/midiC0D0
>   But now when I try to play midi, it waits for ever, I think the device is
> busy. What can I do about that?

Hi Julien!

What do you mean by "integrate midish in alsasequecer"? Is it to
make it appear as a alsasequencer port so that other apps using the
alsa sequencer can send/receive events to/from midish?

If so, you can use a single virmidi device (for instance port 16,
/dev/snd/C0D0) without any connections:

	devattach 1 "/dev/snd/midiC0D0" rw

Events sent by applications on port 16 will be received by midish
on it's device number 1 and events sent by midish on device 1 will
be received by applications listening on port 16.

An example: suppose you want to use midish to record output of
other apps and to drive your hardware. You can attach the first
virmidi as device number 1 and the hardware as device number 0,
then you can define a filter to move events from device 1 (alsa
apps) to device 0 (hardware).

	devattach 0 "/dev/snd/midiC1D1" wo	# hardware, port 20
	devattach 1 "/dev/snd/midiC0D0" ro	# virtual, port 16
	filtnew myfilt				# create filter
	filtdevmap myfilt 1 0			# send dev 1 -> dev 0
	tracknew mytrack
	songrecord

I don't know if that's what you want. Could you describe more your
setup (software, hardware) and the result you'd like to obtain?

cheers,

-- Alexandre