Re: Connecting a FIFO to an alsa controller

From: Alexandre Ratchov <alex_at_caoua.org>
Date: Thu Apr 16 2009 - 14:33:41 CEST
On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 11:03:26AM +0000, Thomas Baruchel wrote:
> Hi, for some reasons, I want to use some old piece of
> software in my Jack installation. I am aware that I can do
> it with the snd-virmidi Linux module:
>
> modprobe snd-virmidi
>
> but I don't like it that much (for several reasons: first,
> I encounter some problems; secondly because my piece of
> software is only a small piece in my installation).
>
> But the program can write its RAW midi output aniwhere I
> want. Thus I created a FIFO and made my program write
> there. The output is flushed after each sent byte. If I
> try
>
> cat myfifo
>
> I can see the raw midi code in "real time".
>
> Now I want this FIFO to be redirected to an ALSA
> controller in order to redirect the raw MIDI data to a
> router or a synthetiser. Can I do it with midish?

It's not possible currently. However the corresponding code
is already in midish (it's used on non-linux systems), and
iirc it's trivial to hack midish to enable it on linux too.

Basically, this means replacing the ``dnew'' function by two
functions (eg. ``dnew_raw'' and ``dnew_alsa'') that attach
the corresponding device.

Let me know off-list if you're interested, and/or if your
want further details.

-- Alexandre