Re: Recording with linuxsampler

From: Alexandre Ratchov <alex_at_caoua.org>
Date: Thu Jan 23 2014 - 10:09:41 CET
On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 04:47:19PM +1100, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> On Thu, January 23, 2014 10:40 am, Alexandre Ratchov wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 04:13:58AM +1100, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have a system running linuxsampler with jack and a2jmidid.
> >>
> >> Can someone here provide me with a basic set of commands to do the
> >> following in midish:
> >>
> >> 1: load a .mid
> >> 2: connect to a2jmidid
> >> 3: play and record the .mid file from step 1 with the output of the
> >> linuxsampler instrument
> >>
> >> So far I have got to this stage:
> >>
> >> $ rmidish
> >> send EOF character (control-D) to quit
> >> Warning, no MIDI devices configured.
> >> [0000:00]> import
> >> Noisecontrollers-TBA-jordykiller1-20140120193859-nonstop2k.com.mid
> >> 1.67: ';' or new line expected
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > double quotes are required around the file name
> >

> Thanks. That works now. Can I suggest a more descriptive error message for
> that case?

Hi,

I'll look at this one day; FWIW it's confused because it thinks
that Noisecontrollers, TBA, jordykiller1, ... are variables you try
to substract from each other.

> > at this stage, you can start playback by typing "p" and recording
> > with "r".
> >

> That look to be working correctly.
>
> Just to confirm, the r option records midi data not audio data?

exactly

> So, to record the audio output of linuxsampler I should be using an
> external app like jack_record or ecasound...?

yes; if you need midi parts to be synchronized to audio parts, you
have to tell the audio player to expose its clock and to midish to
use the external clock, this is the hard part

> Separately,  It looks like midish can be used to script the
> import/playback process. Can you give me a little more information on that
> please?

the "import" function creats a empty project and loads all tracks
of the .mid file. So importing a new .mid, discrads the previous
one. Then "p" starts playback abd "s" stops it; basically that's
all. There a "batch mode" (usefull for scripting) where "p" stops
automatically at the end of the song.

> My goal is to play and record a complete directory of .mid files via
> linuxsampler using midish as the sequencer.

Take a look to the "smfplay" example script.

> Finally does midish already have any filters for humanisation of the
> output or should I be using other apps for that process?  I'm thinking of
> something similar to the additional filters in hydrogen which adds small
> timing inconsistencies to the playback to give the output a more natural
> feeling. In Hydrogen they call it "swing".

Sorry, there are no such filters. Most of the filtering is about
changing controller numbers, transposing routing between channels
and multiple devices.

There's a way to progressively quantize a track, but that's the
opposite of what you need :(

-- Alexandre