Re: dclkrt and dclktx

From: Alexandre Ratchov <alex_at_caoua.org>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 10:51:52 +0100
On Sat, Feb 22, 2020 at 12:20:50AM +0100, Jeanette C. wrote:
> Hey hey,
> if a new master clock source is added using dclkrx, does a dclktx command
> have to be reissued to all other devices?

dclkrx and dclktx are independent.

There is exactly one clock source (the one selected with dclkrx or
midish itself). A single call to dclkrx is enough to select the clock
source.

dclktx is used to enable (on per-device basis) the transmission of
clock ticks. It is needed if the device must synchronize to midish (or
to the actual source that midish may forward).

> In my .midishrc I have a situation like this:
> dnew 0 "dev1" rw
> dnew 1 "dev2" rw
> dxlktx [dlist]

> proc add_ext_clk {
>   dnew 6 "clocksource" ro
>   dclkrx 6
> }
>
> The add_ext_clk procedure is called when the project is recorded into audio
> only, for practical reasons. I know the clock source to be quite stable, but
> one of my synth has problems adjusting to it. Testing it directly with other
> MIDI clock sources it locks perfectly to the tempo, so I can only assume
> that the external clocksource is not properly passed on to this hardware
> synth.

I'm not 100% sure to understand what you're trying to achieve, but to
record audio, you probably need to use MIDI time-code (MTC), not the
MIDI clock. For instance, the audio recorder sends MIDI time-code,
midish generates the clock ticks (ie. the tempo information), then
possibly broadcasts the clock to any external sequencers.

This way all MIDI events are perfectly in sync to the audio tracks,
which is necessary to mix MIDI with acoustic instruments or voice.

HTH

-- Alexandre