Re: Recording a MIDI file from an Ardour MIDI track

From: Alexandre Ratchov <alex_at_caoua.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2020 22:56:25 +0100
On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 12:43:29PM +0100, Carlo Stemberger wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm developing this[1] project.
>
> I'm using Ardour for synchronizing an audio track with the lights. An Arduino
> Leonardo is used as MIDI instrument for controlling the lights.
>
> All works well, in Ardour, with a single project, but I'd like to automatically
> play a lot of songs/pieces of music; the solution might be to export the audio
> track and the MIDI track for each Ardour project, and play them with a Python
> script (by reading a playlist file). Unfortunately Ardour, at the moment,
> ignores the tempo map when exporting the MIDI track to a MIDI file[2].
>
> In your opinion, is it possible to use midish for recording a tempo-fluctuating
> MIDI file from Ardour?

AFAIK, the tempo information is not transmitted by MIDI, so it's lost
during recording.

I have no ardour installation right now, but most DAW allow to export
the whole project with all tracks but one muted (or disabled, not
selected or whatever).

Otherwise the time signature and tempo would be lost.