Re: Interpreting time signature as quarter notes per minute

From: Bob van der Poel <bob_at_mellowood.ca>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2021 10:19:07 -0700
I've not followed the math, but in notation 6/8 is a duple time with 2
beats per measure. It does not have 6 8th notes; it is not the same as 2
bars of 3/4 or 3/8. In notation (and this is a non-technically correct
comment) composers use 6/8 instead of 2/4 to avoid writing lots of
triplets. Apparently it is easier for a musician to read 8ths in 6/8 than
triplets in 2/4 ... I'm not so sure about that, but that's the "reasoning".

Hope this reply isn't too off topic  :)

--

**** Listen to my FREE CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: bob_at_mellowood.ca