Re: New feature: show song position (measure.beat) during playback

From: Alexandre Ratchov <alex_at_caoua.org>
Date: Sun Feb 03 2008 - 23:57:42 CET
On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 07:11:38PM +0100, George Wieggers wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm sending my first patch for midish. This patch adds some info, if
> "debug song" is turned on. While playing, the current measure and beat
> are written to stderr, like other debug info.
>
> Some background info: I'm trying to create a very simple front-end for
> midish and it would be very nice if I can "see" that a song is
> playing.

hi,

The last time i've looked at this issue (more generally how to
communicate with frontends), i convinced myself that adding this
information to the output of the '-v' option would be the most
flexible.

I've commited your patch since you seem to need it, but in the long
term i'd like to use the -v flag for such info.

Let me know if you need other info that is currenly available
through the "debug xxx", so it doesn't get removed by mistake.

> Patch follows (based on latest development snapshot)
>
> I hope this patch will make it into the next release of midish.

I've reorganized your patch and committed it, so it will be in the
next the release. Just few comments:

 - i've moved the code in song_ticplay() because this function
   is called at the beginning of every tick; song_ticskip() is not
   called for the first tick, it's to move one tick forward.

 - replaced the sprintf() by dbg_xxx(), so the code looks like the
   rest; it's a style only change.

BTW, if you are used to cvs, the repository is available by ssh.
The cvs root is on anoncvs@moule.caoua.org:/cvs, for instance:

	export CVS_RSH=ssh
	export CVSROOT=anoncvs@moule.caoua.org:/cvs
	cvs checkout -P midish