Re: Shell based Midi player controlled by Apache Web Server

From: Alexandre Ratchov <alex_at_caoua.org>
Date: Tue Nov 03 2009 - 18:03:27 CET
On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 04:44:52PM +0100, Martin MOEDERNDORFER wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Ive a question regaring midish. can i use this to control
> a player via webserver from a client?
> what i want to do is to connect a external hw midi
> sequecer to the webserver (apache + php + sql etc) and
> store some midi files on that server. then, connecting via
> html from a client i want to select a specific midi file
> and start playing that on the server (definetly not on the
> client - i want to play from the server)
> the functions i want to call from the html client are:
> start playing midi file
> change tempo (is this possible?)
> stop
> eventually i want to pause - but this is not absolutely necessary.

hey!

yes, that is possible. You have to start a single instance
of midish and keep it running. Php scripts will have to
"connect" to midish and issue commands.

This requires writing a simple wrapper that
accepts connetions (from php scripts) and writes the
received data on midish standard input.

There's an example program ``rmidish.c'' in the sources tar
ball. Basically you have to do something similar (actually
much simpler), but with a socket instead of the readline
library.

let me know it you have further questions!

-- Alexandre