Re: problem installing MIDISH on Ubuntu

From: Alexandre Ratchov <alex_at_caoua.org>
Date: Mon Apr 19 2010 - 16:01:45 CEST
On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 05:27:46AM -0600, Kevin Utter wrote:
> Hi! Should I be able to run MIDISH on Ubuntu 9.04? It shows up in
> Synaptic Package Manager, and seems to install, but RMIDISH only
> gives me "no such proc" errors for any command I issue.  Attempting
> to install the package manually as per the installation instructions
> fails at CONFIGURE with the cT install without readline lib.
> Readline seems to be installed, but doesn't have the files requested
> by the Configure script.  I'm fairly new to Linux, so could easily
> be missing something.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

I guess ubuntu is using a very old version of midish.
Indeed, the easier is to uninstall ubuntu package and to compile a
recent version.

AFAICS, the following packages must be installed first: gcc,
make, libasound2-dev, libreadline-dev (not 100% sure about
package names).

Then, assuming you downloaded this file:

	http://caoua.org/midish/midish.tar.gz

the following commands should work:

	tar -xzvf midish.tar.gz
	cd midish