Re: midish play .mid on raspberry pi

From: Alexandre Ratchov <alex_at_caoua.org>
Date: Sat May 21 2016 - 22:50:14 CEST
On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 10:57:23PM +0200, Michael.Skrepsky@email.cz wrote:
> Dear developers,
> i am asking for help with making midish work on raspberry pi to
> play .mid files

Hi,

You need either a hardware midi synthsizer, or a softsynth like
fluidsynth; If I understand correctly there's one listening on
"14:0", right ?

> and setting tempo with counting pulses on GPIO.

For this to work, you need a small program to convert GPIO pulses
to midi clock and make it available as a midi port.

> i installed midish: apt-get install midish
> i made the /etc/midishrc file, tried some options then aseqdump -l
> 0:0 system timer
> 0:1 system announce
> 14:0 midi through
>
> and /etc/midishrc: "dnew 0 "14:0" rw"

I'd recommend using:

dnew 0 "14:0" wo

as you don't need input.

> and when i try to load midi file:
> rmidish
> import "/something.mid"
> failed to read header

this smells like a corrupted .mid file or a bug in midish; if you
think the file is OK, I'd be interested in having a copy of it to
try to fix the bug.

> it plays only silence

this is normal, as midish failed to import the .mid file
and il plays silence.

> if i try metronome:
> m on
> norm_kill: noff (0:9) 44 64: killed
> forever repeating

this seems related to the "rw" flags to dnew.  Not 100% sure, but
whatever midish writes to "14:0" seems to be sent back to it.
Replacing "rw" by "wo" would probably fix this.  Does it?

> and get silence

the silence indicates that notes sent to 14:0 don't reach your
synth. Any details about what synth you're using and how it's setup?

HTH