Re: midish and jack_umidi

From: Alexandre Ratchov <alex_at_caoua.org>
Date: Sun Nov 20 2016 - 14:50:38 CET
On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 10:29:53AM +0100, J. C. wrote:
> Hi Davud,
> Nov 20 2016, david has written:
> >But I have since moved to freebsd and
> >it has miminal support unless you use jack_umidi
> That is surprising, because, afaik, Midish is developed on Freebsd.

It's mainly developped on OpenBSD ;)

> >Is this something that can  be done?
> I sometimes use Midish with jack_midi on Linux, but only through the
> ALSA/JACK midi bridges. There is no direct JACK support in Midish, since
> I believe - JACK works quite differently from the MIDI models close to
> the hardware.
>
> Isn't the sndio option something that works on Freebsd? Sorry, I have no
> experience with that myself.

Yes, there's a very recent port thanks to Tobias Kortkamp.  It
would allow programs to send midi data to each other or to hardware
midi ports in a uniform way; basically this makes softsynths appear
as midi ports.  But it requires all programs involved to have sndio
support enabled.

more info here:

https://www.freshports.org/audio/sndio/

and here's a list of programs with sndio support being enabled on
FreeBSD.