Re: sending single notes around...

From: Alexandre Ratchov <alex_at_caoua.org>
Date: Fri Nov 07 2008 - 08:55:53 CET
On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 05:57:57PM +0100, ki.ber.kom.uni.st wrote:
> ok.. so now sending single notes works but for that to work i needed
> to send it directly to korg electribe.. sending first to Virtual Raw
> MIDI and connecting with QJackCtl to korg electribe didn't work... i
> use Audiotrack USB/MIDI interface and it serves me well...
>
> i tried syncing with seq24 and it works.. it triggers ticks in sync
> with the tempo set up in seq24... when it gets [play] from seq24 it
> starts the midish track..  the same for [stop] so far so good...
>
> i couldn't find how i'll use midish as sequencer for loops.. i would
> like midish to repeat certain number of measures being synced with
> external midi clock... i couldn't find how i'll tell to midish to
> change the trackposition so it starts from the beginning...

oh, unfortunately midish doesn't support loops. There's some work in
progress though; There's another problem: tracks cannot be
edited while midish is playing (actually that's the main reason for
not having loops).

if you have other loop orientated software, you should use it
unless you want to hack on the midish code ;)

> if that's possible i just need to add event once (ie. 1st measure 2nd
> beat) and it will repeat every time it repeats the track).....
>
> do i need to take care of that abstraction (looping) on my own? that
> means copying every midi note in a right position (measure/beat) to
> the long running timeline?

yeah that's what i do when i need loops. But I don't use a lot of
loops

> my goal is to add midi looping to my application which uses
> sooperlooper engine for audio looping... there is a video introduction
> if you would like to see how the user interface look like at the
> moment....
> http://www.viddler.com/explore/marcell/videos/7

very interesting. I really like very mutch the ``control eveything
in real time'' thing. Nice work.

> as you could see i'll use ipython as textual frontend for rmidish so i
> can control both sooperlooper and rmidish from unique front end -
> ipython... as in the case of sooperlooper custom pyqt widgets will be
> added for visualization what's going on inside of midish....

just a remark, if you're writing a front-end, you should use
midish rather that rmidish, it's simpler and more reliable; rmidish
is just a ``sample front-end''

> any idea how to deal with looping and midish is very welcome....

-- Alexandre