Re: midish + MIDI remote?

From: Alexandre Ratchov <alex_at_caoua.org>
Date: Mon Oct 28 2013 - 23:57:11 CET
On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 01:07:45PM -0500, Tim Soderstrom wrote:

> I've been hunting around for a hardware MIDI playback / routing
> solution and ran into midish recently. It looks wonderful! But I
> was wondering - is it possible to control midish via a MIDI
> controller? I could not see that functionality in the
> documentation, though I did see ways to automate midish via shell
> scripts (meaning a helper program might be able to do it).
>
> The idea was being able to stop/start/switch songs from a MIDI
> controller such as a NanoKontrol during a live performance.
> midish would be running off a Raspberry Pi stuffed in our stage
> rack.

currently it can be controlled by MMC messages only, basically
start/stop/relocate messages

adding support for simpler functions (metronome on/off, switching
between filters and alike) with sysex messages would be trivial.

editing functions and the load/save functions would be trickier to
trigger through midi because midi devices are closed during
invocation of these functions.

-- Alexandre